Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fox and Deer and Bears... Oh My!

So, I am putting my story out there before Chris can muck it up with his version. We had the second part of our vacation in Sequoia National Park.  It is just gorgeous and of course we decide to go hiking on Sunday.  As you may know, Sequoia has many "active bear" areas.
So, on this amazing hike I am just hyper sensitive to our surroundings... just in case.  The boys are running ahead and having a blast.  Here are some before pictures as we are enjoying our hike.
 
It is just as we round this corner with Joshua and Zach is about 8 feet ahead of us.  I look up and about 25 yards... is a black bear.  It's just us and this bear because NO ONE is on this little hike so early in the morning.  I yell, "Zach STOP! Bear!".  I turn around and yell at Chris, "BEAR!"  In about .2 seconds, I swoop all 40lbs of Zach up in my arms and start walking as fast as I can back the other direction.  Chris is following with Josh but clearly not at the speed I would like.  Okay, in hindsight maybe I didn't have to carry him as far as I did (half mile according to Chris) but I got in protection mode for the following reasons 1) bears run fast; 2) I was the one carrying all the food and diaper wipes in the backpack... oh and 3) I love my children.

Yes, I know better that bears aren't normally going to attack in that situation but I wasn't going to risk it.  That said, Chris is not letting me live this down.  He is mocking my reaction.  All I have to say is, "At least we all came home safely thanks to me being aware of my surroundings."

I will be posting other pictures later but I had to get that out there... :)

No comments: