We thought we would take the kids for a hike near our house. Pre-kids I relished going on hikes that were quiet and deserted. I remember hiking in Utah and we wouldn't see other hikers for hours and it was perfect. Fast forward to today and before the "incident"... and I hate it when it's too quiet.
We get on this hike and we're the only people around. About 15 minutes into the hike, a Sheriff's helicopter is hovering right above us and circling around and around and around. It's extremely loud and jarring. My brain goes from "they are tracking a mountain lion" to "no... a bear, there have been a lot in the news by our house" to "no, it's a stranded hiker" to "no, it's a serial killer on the loose". I am TOTALLY aware that they could have just been on a training mission, but it is a lot harder to be rational when you have two kids who can't defend themselves.
The "hike" was cut short and we did an about face back to the car... so much for enjoying nature. We ended up swimming in our backyard later that morning.

No comments:
Post a Comment